- TRUMPISM FOR THEE, BUT NOT FOR ME "... Trumpism-for-thee-but-not-for-me ... is becoming a pattern. Here’s how it works: First, the Trump administration, often with congressional Republicans, enacts a policy that harms a large number of Americans. Then local or state allies of the administration raise objections. Ultimately, the administration and Congress create a carve-out that protects a small number of favored constituents while leaving most of the damaging policy in place. It is splendidly hypocritical, of course: If Trump’s agenda is as wonderful as he says, his loyal supporters should surely get to benefit from it as well. But I think it also contains an important lesson for anyone trying to stop Trump’s agenda: Keep calling attention to the substance of that agenda, because it is deeply unpopular — and even Trump’s allies know it’s unpopular." David Leonhardt | New York Times | February 11, 2018
- WOMEN LEAD THE RESISTANCE. AND WOMEN LEAD THE INDIVISIBLE MOVEMENT:
- In 2017, 86% (yes, really!) of calls to members of Congress were made by women.
- 70% of Indivisible group members, and the majority of group leaders, are women.
- And, in Virginia, first-time candidates -- many of whom were women of color, immigrant women, trans women, and Indivisibles (shout out to Wendy Gooditis, one of the new State Delegates!) -- drove home a historic victory.
HELP SECURE OUR VOTER ROLLS
AGAINST TAMPERING — NOW
The MA Elections Modernization Coalition, led by Common Cause and assisted by our own local group, Lift+Every+Vote, needs our help to pass Automatic Voter Registration. In one bill, we could secure our voter rolls from tampering, correct their many inaccuracies, save money, cut down bureaucracy, and:
H.2091 could register almost 700,000 eligible voters in MA.
AVR is the solution to voter-fraud based voter suppression. It makes the rolls accurate and it makes sure almost every eligible voter is registered. It's the solution to the alternate universe situation on voter registration, where one side claims massive voter fraud, the other, massive voter suppression. It's so successful that an EAC commissioner has now begun to attack it on specious grounds.
WE NEED TO PASS AVR IN MA, NOW, TO PUSH BACK ON THIS NATIONAL CONVERSATION. IT'S A COMMON SENSE SOLUTION THAT WORKS.
LET'S HELP MA BECOME THE 11TH STATE TO PASS AVR AND GET IT IMPLEMENTED BEFORE THE 2020 ELECTIONS!
“We’ve never seen anything like this”: how Trump inspired women to run for office | VOX | November 8, 2017 | by Anna North
"The 2016 election has motivated a groundswell of women to run. And they may fare better than Clinton ... Since Election Day, EMILY’s List has seen “a tremendous outpouring of women who are raising their hands and saying they want to run,” said Stephanie Schriock, president of the organization. “We’ve never seen anything like this,” she added. “It is a truly transformational moment.”
It’s not just Trump’s victory motivating women to run, Schriock said. It’s also Clinton’s loss. “I met so many women before the election with tears in their eyes about how important this victory was going to be,” she said. When that victory didn’t materialize, their initial shock and fear of a Trump presidency turned to action."